The A-Team

Channel4 Paralympics

Inside stories: Track cycling, Paralympic GB team


Hannibal, Face, Murdock and BA Baracus stand aside. There is a new A-Team in town and they want to get their hands on some gold. Paralympic gold.

Just 18 months since they first attempted track cycling, paratrooper Tel Byrne and former RAF weapons technician Jon-Allan Butterworth are now taking the velodrome by storm, both landing gold medals and world records at the 2011 World Championships in Italy.

With London 2012 looming on the horizon, we caught up with ParalympicGB's star recruits and asked them about their journey from the front line to the starting line.

How does it feel being described as ParalympicsGB's A-Team?
Jon-Allan: "I like it, it makes me chuckle that we've been dubbed the A-Team."
Tel: "I'm happy with that nickname, in fact I love it!"

Which A-Team character is the most like you?
T: "I'd be BA Baracus. I'm not scared of planes but I do wear a bit of gold…"
J-A: "Yeah that's me too, definitely BA. I'm a lot like him, as I can be stubborn and say 'I'm not doing this, I'm not doing that'."

Does experience of the war zone make it easier to control your nerves on the track?
J-A: "At the outset I was more nervous on the starting line than I was on duty in Iraq, it was impossible to control my emotions. Thankfully, I've calmed down now and it doesn't affect me so much."
T: "You can't compare the two, but at war and before a race you do need to search within yourself for inner strength. I am very much on the edge before a race, but that's all part of the adrenalin buzz, which I love."

Did your military training make the pain of gruelling cycle sessions any easier to handle?
T: "When you've carried 45lb on your back for a 10-mile run or 130lb on a 60-mile overnight trek, you know anything is possible. I can mentally push myself to the limit and I'm sure it helps."
J-A: "I actually think my cycling training is tougher. When you focus on one thing and look to extract the extra five per cent you need at elite level you have to work very hard."

Have you always been able to put yourself through the pain barrier?
T: "Army training can be horrendous, it can physically destroy you. That helps me handle the sessions now. Also, I know that the pain will only be in short bursts. It's just as hard though, let me tell you."
J-A: "Knowing the hard work is going to help me ride faster makes me push myself to the limit. It's satisfying."

You've both received help from the Battle Back Programme, which helps wounded soldiers through sport. Tell us a bit about it.
J-A: "It was fundamental in getting me where I'm in today, so I have a lot to thank the people there for. They got me trying lots of sports and that's how I found cycling."
T: "Battle Back is phenomenal, a brilliant programme that's helping so many wounded soldiers. They got me back on the move, trying new things. It was an inspiration."

Do you two lads bring a bit of extra discipline to the team?
T: "I'm not sure. I reckon I'm easy to coach, though, because I've been taught to arrive at places early, with the right equipment and with the right attitude. That's discipline without even thinking about it."
J-A: "To be honest, I lost a bit of my discipline after I left the Air Force, so being part of the team has helped bring it back. I guess I'm organised and tidy, which helps."

Winning gold at the 2011 World Championships must have been amazing…
J-A: "It's helped my confidence to no end, knowing that I'm in a very good place as we head towards 2012."
T: "It was really satisfying to see all the hard training pay off. It makes me believe in myself as I know I will get stronger and stronger as I acclimatise to the sport. "

What happens now?
J-A: "It's all about getting on the team for the Paralympics. There are so many talents, so it's a massive fight just to get a seat. We can only take one or two riders per event to the Games and there are many more people who deserve the spots. All I'm focused on is securing my place."
T: "It's the same for me. None of us can take our places for granted because of the competition. I'm desperate to be in the mixed team sprint, but between now and selection I have to prove I'm worth selecting."

At London 2012, what would be mission accomplished?
J-A: "To be there will be the finest achievement of my career. If I make it, nothing less than gold will do."
T: "It's all about winning for me. As an ex-boxer, I know that second place means you got beat up. It's gold or nothing."


 Tel Byrne and Jon-Allan Butterworth 
love it when a plan 
comes together


Read the full interview on Channel4/Paralympics (text editing by Davide Ghilotti)