Meet the athletes: Q&A with Sascha Kindred
Channel4 Paralympics
Athletes profile: Sascha Kindred - swimming, Paralympic GB
Since winning his first gold in a junior competition back in 1992, human-come-torpedo Sascha Kindred has proved nigh-on invincible in the pool. As long as he gets there in time to race, that is… (read more)
Who is your sporting idol?
"I don't have one in particular. I admire anyone who reaches the number-one spot in their sport. I admire what Sir Chris Hoy and Usain Bolt did at the Olympics because I know how much dedication they put into it."
Athletes profile: Sascha Kindred - swimming, Paralympic GB
Since winning his first gold in a junior competition back in 1992, human-come-torpedo Sascha Kindred has proved nigh-on invincible in the pool. As long as he gets there in time to race, that is… (read more)
Who is your sporting idol?
"I don't have one in particular. I admire anyone who reaches the number-one spot in their sport. I admire what Sir Chris Hoy and Usain Bolt did at the Olympics because I know how much dedication they put into it."
Dedication is what you need - to borrow Roy Castle's phrase?
"It's the early starts. Those sessions usually start before people go to work. I wake up at 5.30am and start training at 6am for two hours. It makes me very unsociable."
"It's the early starts. Those sessions usually start before people go to work. I wake up at 5.30am and start training at 6am for two hours. It makes me very unsociable."
What is your worst habit?
"Being grumpy in the morning. My coach says that I am very grumpy."
"Being grumpy in the morning. My coach says that I am very grumpy."
What has been the greatest moment in your career so far?
"Winning my first Paralympic gold medal in 2000 in Sydney."
"Winning my first Paralympic gold medal in 2000 in Sydney."
This will be your fifth Paralympics. In your experience why are they so special?
"For me it is the village atmosphere and I also enjoy racing at such a high level in front of a big audience."
"For me it is the village atmosphere and I also enjoy racing at such a high level in front of a big audience."
Have you got any superstitions?
"I warm up in the same lane as qualifying. So, say if I qualify in lane six for the finals, I would usually warm up for the next race in lane six as well."
"I warm up in the same lane as qualifying. So, say if I qualify in lane six for the finals, I would usually warm up for the next race in lane six as well."
Apart from swimming, what is your favourite sport?
"I like football, I follow Manchester United and I follow Chicago Bulls in basketball. My twin brother Timo used to play for the Manchester Giants."
"I like football, I follow Manchester United and I follow Chicago Bulls in basketball. My twin brother Timo used to play for the Manchester Giants."
Favourite holiday destination?
"Las Vegas. So much to see and do and eat."
"Las Vegas. So much to see and do and eat."
What are you most scared of?
"I don't like snakes."
"I don't like snakes."
What is on your ideal menu?
"A lot of mash, with a fillet steak, loads of chips and mayonnaise. Side dish? Some guacamole with the steak. I love it."
What is your most embarrassing moment in sport?
"It happened before one of my races, during the national swimming championships in Sheffield, about six years ago. It was just a small race; I went to the toilet, and when I came out, the race was going on, and I was standing at the side of the pool. There was obviously nothing I could do, my race was gone."
Read the complete athlete profile on Channel4/Paralympics (texts and layout by Davide Ghilotti)
"A lot of mash, with a fillet steak, loads of chips and mayonnaise. Side dish? Some guacamole with the steak. I love it."
What is your most embarrassing moment in sport?
"It happened before one of my races, during the national swimming championships in Sheffield, about six years ago. It was just a small race; I went to the toilet, and when I came out, the race was going on, and I was standing at the side of the pool. There was obviously nothing I could do, my race was gone."
"Once I went to the toilet before a race.
When I came out, the race was on
and I was standing there"
Read the complete athlete profile on Channel4/Paralympics (texts and layout by Davide Ghilotti)
